Ayo pointed out that until recently, a lot of my RV work has been fixes rather than upgrades. That’s not to say that upgrades haven’t taken place. We’ve installed solar and an inverter and done work with window shading, among other things. But for the most part, we’ve dealt with fixing the minor problems that emerge when you have a house on wheels.
We put together another upgrade a week or so ago, when we built a drawer while parked at the Mount Elbert trailhead. We have a very deep and narrow pantry cabinet that we’ve been using to store spices, but the annoyance of the deep cabinet was that beyond the first few rows, you couldn’t see which spices you were reaching for.
Until last week!
Finding the right rails wasn’t such a big deal, but we wanted to make sure that the spices wouldn’t fall off of the drawer when we pulled it out. In the end – and with the help of a few clever people at Lowe’s – we pulled together a couple of things that aren’t otherwise meant for drawers: vent grating and spray-on rubber. The grating ended up as our siding, and the rubber spray dulled the edges.
We wedged the siding between the rails and the drawer bottom, then screwed the rails into place.
Because of a cabinet peculiarity, we ended up not having to drill or screw into the cabinet floor or walls. The lip of the cabinet blocked about 1″ of cabinet space, so we wedged some precisely-cut pieces of wood on the sides of the cabinet to effectively bring the sides 1/2″ closer and match up the cabinet opening with the inner cabinet walls.
It works! The only thing we need to add now is a handle for the front of the drawer. Relative to the rest of the project, that should be a breeze.
posted by yair