Fourteen months into RVing, Yair and I have finally picked up some ‘extra’ items that in retrospect seem more like staples.
Here is a short list of this month’s purchases that fall under the category of Stuff We Should Have Gotten Forever Ago:
1. Real pillows. Over the past year, our sofa throw pillows have doubled as our night time pillows and – my God – what a luxury real pillows are! We purchased fluffy pillows from the local Walmart at $4 a pop, where they came in the very American size of ‘HUGE’.
2. Food Processor / Blender. Granted, we don’t usually run our generator or have an electric plug-in, but life (and our culinary repertoire) is sweeter with the addition of a food processor to our kitchen.
3. Bikes. Yes, technically we owned bicycles. But why suffer through ill-fitted, Burning Man-beaten, almost rusted second-hand bikes when you can buy an affordable bike for $50 more that will make you feel light as a feather and fast as a cheetah? Okay, maybe not quite as fast as a cheetah, but getting a bike that fits, and has shock absorbers and gears that don’t scream at you every time you change them makes a huge difference.
4. Wicker Basket. This is a small item, but we’ve had our dried fruits and nuts hidden away in the pantry and barely accessed them until we scooped up a wicker basket for the corner of our kitchen and organized them there. Both are now regulars in our diet.
5. iPod Speakers. We picked this baby up last week. Yair is digging the improved sound of the music and quality of the bass, and I’m just happy to have mobile speakers for hooping and park excursions.
Moral of the story: Be smart about purchases, but not overly stingy. Quality of life is super important and $4 pillows are not a splurge! 🙂
posted by ayo