Instructions for the reader:
- Go to White Sands National Monument.
- Spend the $15 on a sled at the gift shop. It’s worth it.
- Bring a handheld GPS unit.
- Lose yourself in 200 square miles of gorgeous white gypsum sand dunes.
- Use the GPS to find your way back, reveling in how disorienting the dunes are.
The first couple of miles into White Sands are underwhelming. There is but one road, and it takes you between white-ish sand dunes covered in desert vegetation. Keep on going and winter arrives, with pure white snow (gypsum sand) blanketing the desert. Most people visit the park for a day, but we couldn’t help but come back for more.
The way to experience the park is with a GPS unit, walking aimlessly and getting lost in the silent and disorienting beauty of the dunes.
If you weren’t planning on a trip before reading this post, thank me afterwards.
posted by yair